Saturday, August 4, 2007

Jim Rome Disease

One of the signs that I've gotten way too old is that I no longer listen to music. When I was younger, I would listen to music all the time: at home, at work, in the car, while walking anywhere. Now whenever I'm in the car, or at home, all I listen to is sport talk radio.

Sports talk is full of boobs who don't know what they are talking about, are just out to make people angry, or think they are god's gift to radio. But the one thing that annoys me the most about your standard, garden-variety, sports-talk host is their inability to present an original thought or view point without repeating it 50 times in a row. If you've listened to Jim Rome at all you know how it goes:

You get in your car to run an errand and turn on your local sports talk show.
Host makes a point about a topic of interest to you.
He pauses for effect...


He restates the post using slightly different words
pauses again...


He reiterates the point, this time talking slowly so as to emphasize each and every word.
and pauses again, just to wait for someone else to turn on the radio, so that he can make the point again in 5 seconds...


and so on, until you arrive at your destination and get out of the car.

Now I don't know about you, but when I'm having a conversation I don't repeat the same idea over and over unless I'm talking to a third grader or Andy Katzenmoyer. Would it be too much to ask of sport radio hosts to treat us with respect and not talk down to us like we are children?